GEBE gave an explanation of Friday’s widespread blackout that lasted approximately two hours for most consumers. The company said it had started with a transformer cable overheating.
“On May 15, 2015, at 11:32am, NV GEBE technicians detected smoke in the high tension room. This was caused by the overheating of a cable from a transformer,” a company press release read.
“Attempting to switch power to a second transformer failed, causing a total blackout. Technicians managed to connect power to the alternate transformer and by 1:05pm more than 30 per cent was switched on. By 1:30pm all cables with the exception of Oyster Pond and Belvedere were back in service. At 1:45pm all cables were in full operation and working to full capacity.”
GEBE ST MAARTEN BLACKOUT CAUSED BY OVERHEATING AND SMALL FIRE