BOSTON, USA — On Tuesday, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) charged a former Boston resident with operating a $10 million Ponzi scheme that claimed to generate profits from “bridge loans” to businesses in Jamaica.
The SEC complaint charges former Boston resident Mark Jones, who now lives in Miami and has a second home in Jamaica. Jones was arrested on Sunday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the US Attorney for the District of Massachusetts filed related criminal charges against him on Monday.
According to the SEC complaint filed in US federal court in Boston:
• Jones began soliciting investors starting around 2007 and said their money would be pooled and used for “bridge loans” to Jamaican businesses awaiting funds from approved commercial bank loans. Jones told investors the bridge loans would generate approximately 15 percent to 20 percent interest a year.
• Jones raised about $10 million from at least 21 investors in six states and Washington, DC, including three of his own relatives.
• Jones appeared in YouTube videos touting investment opportunities in Jamaica and met with some investors in Jamaica to show local projects they had purportedly funded.
• Jones used investors’ money to pay other investors – the hallmark of a Ponzi scheme. He also used some investors’ money to pay his personal expenses.
• Many of those that Jones defrauded are retirees who are now in financial straits because of their investments with him.
The SEC’s complaint alleges that Jones violated the antifraud provisions Section 17(a) of the Securities Act and Section 10(b) of the Securities Exchange Act and Rule 10b-5 thereunder. The SEC obtained a court order on Tuesday freezing Jones’s assets and an order to repatriate investor funds that were moved overseas. The SEC’s complaint seeks a permanent injunction, return of allegedly ill-gotten gains with interest, and penalties.
Categories: St Maarten News St Martin Weather Sxm Crime Politics Government Updates, st maarten, st maarten weather , st maarten airport, st maarten map, st maarten hotels , st maarten airport code, st maarten island, st maarten currency, st maarten beaches, st maarten news, sxm weath, ST MAARTEN, ST MAARTEN WEATHER , ST MAARTEN AIRPORT, ST MAARTEN MAP, ST MAARTEN HOTELS , ST MAARTEN AIRPORT CODE, ST MAARTEN ISLAND, ST MAARTEN CURRENCY, ST MAARTEN BEACHES, ST MAARTEN NEWS, SXM WEATH