Detectives are currently busy investigating two more armed robberies. The detectives of Special Unite Robbery are currently investigating two (2) separate robberies that took place on Tuesday, August 25th 2020.
The first robbery took place in the St. Peters area, around 8:00 pm. Two masked men dressed in dark clothing carrying a firearm, approached a lady walking in the area and demanded her cellphone. After robbing the victim the two suspects fled on the scooter in an unknown direction.
On the same day at around 9:00 pm the central dispatch received several calls concerning an second armed robbery that was taking place at a supermarket on the A.Th. Illidge road. According to the information received from the victims, two masked men dressed in dark clothing appeared took away the cash register. The two suspects then fled on the scooter in the directions of the Coralita road.
The Sint Maarten Police Force is requesting any information from persons who may have seen or recognize the suspects connected to these investigation, the more the community comes together to assist in the combat against these crimes the faster the robber(s) can be apprehended.
The police have noticed an uptick in robberies to various business establishments and persons over the last few days.
Here are some suggested measures persons and businesses can take to avoid being targeted:
• Be aware of your surroundings and maintain visibility throughout your store Develop a cash control program, to avoid having a large amount of cash.
• Be discreet in cash counting and bank deposits. Do this in a safe area.
• Trust your instincts. If you sense trouble, get away as soon as possible.
• Don’t look like an easy target. Robbers want someone who will provide the least resistance.
• If you look like you know where you are going, walk with your head up and eyes alert, you will most likely be left alone.
• Be observant, be aware of persons coming into your business and just standing and observing.
• Invest in a security alarm system.
The Special Unite Robbery (SUR) can be contacted via phone at 542-2222 ext 203 204 205, the anonymous tip line # 9300 or persons with information can also send a private message via our Facebook Page- Police Force of Sint Maarten – Korps Politie Sint Maarten or website https://www.policesxm.sx/ 24/7.