Willemstad – The economies of Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten seem to be more affected by the corona crisis than other Caribbean countries. The open economies of the three countries in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom play a role in this, ”according to a publication in ESB, trade journal for economists. In it Koert van Buiren writes, among other things, that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) estimates shrinkage figures for the three countries twice as high as the Caribbean average. “A successful recovery of tourism as an economic pillar requires a reorientation and a greater role for the government,” argues the partner at Economisch Bureau Amsterdam and lecturer at the University of Amsterdam. The contraction of the real gross domestic product (GDP) of Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten is estimated by the IMF to be 20 to 25 percent respectively for 2020. “It is striking that Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten are being hit considerably harder by the corona crisis than other Caribbean countries. That’s because they have more open and more trade and tourism-oriented economies than most other Caribbean areas. ” The corona crisis comes on top of “the silent crisis” that has unfolded in the Caribbean region over the past decade and about which Van Buiren has previously written. Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten were also in an unfavorable economic position when the current crisis presented itself. “The three countries were each affected by the corona crisis in their weakened economic positions.” Most autonomous countries in the Caribbean region receive emergency financial support from the IMF, aimed at preventing balance of payments problems caused by the corona crisis. This support, according to the author, “acts as a catalyst” for additional support from the World Bank, the Interamerican Development Bank (IDB), the Development Bank for Latin America (CAF), and the donors and development organizations. Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten do not receive any financial support from the IMF due to their constitutional status. They do receive liquidity support from the Netherlands in the form of loans. With this support, the three countries finance emergency aid measures aimed at, among other things, maintaining employment, covering the financial deficits and keeping the foreign exchange stock up to standard. For the longer term, financial and economic reform programs (Country Packages) have been agreed with the Netherlands, which will be implemented in the coming years with the support of the Netherlands. “The measures taken by other Caribbean countries are broader than job retention, and more focused on income support for households,” said the economist. Particular attention is paid to workers in the informal sector, which is generally large in the Caribbean countries. Income support is also provided to vulnerable groups such as the elderly and the disabled. These groups are often financially dependent on family. Van Buiren: ,, Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten could also give more attention to this. ” In addition, economic reforms are needed. These are “essential” for the economic recovery and for structural resilience. Already before the corona crisis, several Caribbean countries have implemented or started reforms. For example, Jamaica (-8.6 percent of GDP in 2020) has completed a financial and economic reform program with the support of the IMF. As a result, the country has been able to reduce public debt, build the necessary buffers that can be deployed to combat the crisis, and the country is now economically resilient, which will help accelerate its exit from the current crisis. Barbados (-11.6 percent of GDP according to IMF) has started reforming the public sector and public companies, but there is still much room for improvement in the business environment. The country is seeking to accelerate recovery from the corona crisis by accelerating structural reforms. “Economic and financial reforms are also needed in Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten,” the ESB article continues. “It is evident what needs to be done for the reform of the labor market, the business climate, healthcare and the public sector. The speed with which the reforms are implemented will determine the strength of the recovery. ” Van Buiren argues for “reorientation of tourism policy”. “It is uncertain whether the corona crisis will cause a permanent shock to tourism, and how the pandemic will shape tourism in the Caribbean region in the long term,” said the author. Also, the pace at which tourism will develop. https://antilliaansdagblad.com/en/nieuws-menu/23285-harder-getroffen-dan-rest-cariben
- 6,115,060 views
- View judithroumou’s profile on Facebook
- View judithroumou2’s profile on Twitter
- View judith_roumou’s profile on Instagram
- View judithroumou’s profile on Pinterest
- View judithroumou’s profile on LinkedIn
- View JudithRoumou’s profile on GitHub
- View judithroumou’s profile on YouTube
- View userjudithroumou’s profile on Vimeo
- View +JudithRoumouStMaartenNews’s profile on Google+
- รูปหีใต้ผ้าถุงเมื่อตอนที่ผมเป็นเด็กนั้นผมเคยแอบดูหีน้าผมใต้ผ้าถุงบ่อย … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "รูปหีใต้ผ้าถุง"
- ประสบการณ์เสียวเด็กหญิงชอบนั่งโป๊น้องแขเป็นเด็กข้างบ้านผมเองครับ อายุได้ แค่ 8 ขวบเท่านั … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "ประสบการณ์เสียวเด็กหญิงชอบนั่งโป๊"
- เรื่องเสียวแอบดูเจ๊xxxกับผัวผมมีเรื่องเสียวๆเล่า เมื่อตอนที่ผมไปทำงานอยู่ที่เชียงให … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "เรื่องเสียวแอบดูเจ๊xxxกับผัว"
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Courrier adressé par le Président Daniel Gibbs au syndicat Unit978Courrier adressé par le Président Daniel Gibbs au syndicat Unit978
- UNSA-TERRITORIAUX SXM : Fiers d’être des syndicalistesL’irruption d’un groupe de perturbateurs dans notre rencontre UNSA TERRITORIAUX SXM avec la DGS, programmée le 23 juillet, relève plus de la barbarie que l’action syndicale. Prévue de longue date,
- ACTING COMPTROLLER OUTLINES GST BILLThe Government of Anguilla, through the House of Assembly, intends to give the Goods and Services (GST) Bill its second and third readings on Tuesday, July 27, thereby ensuring its passage. It is understood that the Opposition Members will not be supporting the Bill. The GST Tax is expected to come into operation on July […]
- PREMIER WEBSTER JOINS IN CLEANING ISLAND HARBOUR BAYThe regular cleaners of the Island Harbour Bay have just embarked on the tedious task of removing, by hand, the mass amount of seaweed that has been littering the beach for several days. In doing so, they have set an example to other communities in Anguilla where mounds of seaweed, washed ashore on the beaches, […]
- RIP UPDATE SHOOTING VICTIM SHAQUAN GUMBS DIES FROM GUNSHOT WOUNDS FULL STORY VIDEOS April 22, 2021RIP UPDATE SHOOTING VICTIM SHAQUAN GUMBS DIES FROM GUNSHOT WOUNDS FULL STORY VIDEOSSint Maarten News
- UPDATE: Keep Him In Your Thoughts And Prayers. He is in a coma fighting for his life. CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING. That’s not snitching, it is the RIGHT thing to do April 21, 2021UPDATE: Keep Him In Your Thoughts And Prayers. He is in a coma fighting for his life. CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING. That's not snitching, it is the RIGHT thing to doSint Maarten News
- Biden nomineert vertrouweling als ambassadeur bij de Europese UnieDe Amerikaanse president Joe Biden heeft dinsdag Mark Gitenstein genomineerd voor de post van ambassadeur bij de Europese Unie. Gitenstein, die voorheen al ambassadeur was in Roemenië, is een jarenlange medestander van de nieuwe Amerikaanse president.
- Voormalig Slipknot-drummer Joey Jordison (46) overledenVoormalig Slipknot-drummer Joey Jordison, een van de oprichters van de Amerikaanse heavymetalgroep, is plotseling overleden. Hij stierf in zijn slaap op 46-jarige leeftijd, zo heeft zijn familie bekendgemaakt aan Amerikaanse media.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Why The Netherlands dominates the World Happiness Report rankingsThis year’s World Happiness Report again ranks The Netherlands among the top ten happiest of 155 countries surveyed. The U.S., on the other hand, ranked 18th this year, a four-spot drop from last year’s report. The Netherlands scores well when it comes to social trust and support. Due to the situation surrounding the corona virus, […] The post Why The Nether […]Dutch Daily News
- More British people moving to the NetherlandsThe number of British citizens moving from the UK to the Netherlands increased further in 2019. The post More British people moving to the Netherlands appeared first on Dutch Daily News.Dutch Daily News
- Number of new homes built in the Netherlands soars to a decade highLast year, almost 71 thousand new-build completions were reported in the Netherlands. The post Number of new homes built in the Netherlands soars to a decade high appeared first on Dutch Daily News.Dutch Daily News
Judith Regina Roumou
1- 721 523 3493
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Cannot load blog information at this time.