Willemstad – The economies of Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten seem to be more affected by the corona crisis than other Caribbean countries. The open economies of the three countries in the Caribbean part of the Kingdom play a role in this, ”according to a publication in ESB, trade journal for economists. In it Koert van Buiren writes, among other things, that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) estimates shrinkage figures for the three countries twice as high as the Caribbean average. “A successful recovery of tourism as an economic pillar requires a reorientation and a greater role for the government,” argues the partner at Economisch Bureau Amsterdam and lecturer at the University of Amsterdam. The contraction of the real gross domestic product (GDP) of Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten is estimated by the IMF to be 20 to 25 percent respectively for 2020. “It is striking that Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten are being hit considerably harder by the corona crisis than other Caribbean countries. That’s because they have more open and more trade and tourism-oriented economies than most other Caribbean areas. ” The corona crisis comes on top of “the silent crisis” that has unfolded in the Caribbean region over the past decade and about which Van Buiren has previously written. Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten were also in an unfavorable economic position when the current crisis presented itself. “The three countries were each affected by the corona crisis in their weakened economic positions.” Most autonomous countries in the Caribbean region receive emergency financial support from the IMF, aimed at preventing balance of payments problems caused by the corona crisis. This support, according to the author, “acts as a catalyst” for additional support from the World Bank, the Interamerican Development Bank (IDB), the Development Bank for Latin America (CAF), and the donors and development organizations. Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten do not receive any financial support from the IMF due to their constitutional status. They do receive liquidity support from the Netherlands in the form of loans. With this support, the three countries finance emergency aid measures aimed at, among other things, maintaining employment, covering the financial deficits and keeping the foreign exchange stock up to standard. For the longer term, financial and economic reform programs (Country Packages) have been agreed with the Netherlands, which will be implemented in the coming years with the support of the Netherlands. “The measures taken by other Caribbean countries are broader than job retention, and more focused on income support for households,” said the economist. Particular attention is paid to workers in the informal sector, which is generally large in the Caribbean countries. Income support is also provided to vulnerable groups such as the elderly and the disabled. These groups are often financially dependent on family. Van Buiren: ,, Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten could also give more attention to this. ” In addition, economic reforms are needed. These are “essential” for the economic recovery and for structural resilience. Already before the corona crisis, several Caribbean countries have implemented or started reforms. For example, Jamaica (-8.6 percent of GDP in 2020) has completed a financial and economic reform program with the support of the IMF. As a result, the country has been able to reduce public debt, build the necessary buffers that can be deployed to combat the crisis, and the country is now economically resilient, which will help accelerate its exit from the current crisis. Barbados (-11.6 percent of GDP according to IMF) has started reforming the public sector and public companies, but there is still much room for improvement in the business environment. The country is seeking to accelerate recovery from the corona crisis by accelerating structural reforms. “Economic and financial reforms are also needed in Curaçao, Aruba and Sint Maarten,” the ESB article continues. “It is evident what needs to be done for the reform of the labor market, the business climate, healthcare and the public sector. The speed with which the reforms are implemented will determine the strength of the recovery. ” Van Buiren argues for “reorientation of tourism policy”. “It is uncertain whether the corona crisis will cause a permanent shock to tourism, and how the pandemic will shape tourism in the Caribbean region in the long term,” said the author. Also, the pace at which tourism will develop. https://antilliaansdagblad.com/en/nieuws-menu/23285-harder-getroffen-dan-rest-cariben
- 6,172,179 views
- View judithroumou’s profile on Facebook
- View judithroumou2’s profile on Twitter
- View judith_roumou’s profile on Instagram
- View judithroumou’s profile on Pinterest
- View judithroumou’s profile on LinkedIn
- View JudithRoumou’s profile on GitHub
- View judithroumou’s profile on YouTube
- View userjudithroumou’s profile on Vimeo
- View +JudithRoumouStMaartenNews’s profile on Google+
- รูปหีใต้ผ้าถุงเมื่อตอนที่ผมเป็นเด็กนั้นผมเคยแอบดูหีน้าผมใต้ผ้าถุงบ่อย … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "รูปหีใต้ผ้าถุง"
- ประสบการณ์เสียวเด็กหญิงชอบนั่งโป๊น้องแขเป็นเด็กข้างบ้านผมเองครับ อายุได้ แค่ 8 ขวบเท่านั … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "ประสบการณ์เสียวเด็กหญิงชอบนั่งโป๊"
- เรื่องเสียวแอบดูเจ๊xxxกับผัวผมมีเรื่องเสียวๆเล่า เมื่อตอนที่ผมไปทำงานอยู่ที่เชียงให … อ่านเพิ่มเติม "เรื่องเสียวแอบดูเจ๊xxxกับผัว"
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- La chanteuse Régine, reine des nuits parisiennes et des discothèques est décédéeCe dimanche 1er mai 2022, la chanteuse Régine est décédée à l’âge de 92 ans. C’est une triste nouvelle pour le monde de la chanson. La chanteuse et comédienne Régine Saint Martin l sxminfo.fr - L‘Info libre de St-Martin & d'ailleurs
- Guadeloupe : Le vol Air France AF0795 fait demi-tour après avoir fait le plein à AntiguaLe vol Air France Pointe-a-Pitre/Paris de 17h30 AF0795 ce dimanche 17 avril 2022 c‘est reposé sur le tarmac de Pôle Caraibes après avoir fait le plein à Antigua. Pour une Saint Martin l sxminfo.fr - L‘Info libre de St-Martin & d'ailleurs
- REDEVELOPED VALLEY MAIN ROAD CEREMONIALLY INAUGURATEDTuesday, 22nd March marked the ceremonial opening of The Valley Main Road, also known as the Carter Rey Boulevard. Some six months ago work was started to uproot and remodel the old bumpy road which was quite tedious to traverse due to the sinking of the undersurface, in some areas, and an irregular corresponding rising […]
- UK MINISTER AMANDA MILLINGS HANDS OVER KEY FOR WESTERN POLYCLINICIn an official handing over ceremony on Monday, 21st March, visiting Honourable Minister of the Overseas Territories, at the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, Ms. Amanda Milling, turned over the key of the Western Polyclinic – in South Hill – to the Chairman of the Board of the Health Authority of Anguilla, Dr. Clyde Bryan. […]
- Sarah calls for lowering of taxes on fuel to brace consumers for the fallout from the war in Ukraine, but says more has to be done. March 23, 2022Sarah calls for lowering of taxes on fuel to brace consumers for the fallout from the war in Ukraine, but says more has to be done. LATEST ST MAARTEN POLITICAL DISCOURSE: MP Arrindell queries discontinuation of certain banking services MP Wescot is obviously not amused by the public spats between members of the governing coalition. […]Sint Maarten News
- Covid 19 Latest St Maarten Good News New Low February 19, 2022Covid 19 Latest St Maarten Good News New LowSint Maarten News
- LIVE OORLOG OEKRAÏNE. Erdogan: "Turkije zal NAVO-lidmaatschap van Zweden en Finland niet goedkeuren”Turkije ziet een NAVO-toetreding van Zweden en Finland niet zitten en zal het lidmaatschap dan ook niet goedkeuren. Dat stelt president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Volg alle ontwikkelingen rond het conflict in Oekraïne in onze liveblog.
- Volgens producent zal film ‘Rust’ ondanks dodelijk ongeval toch afgewerkt wordenZeven maanden geleden stierf cameravrouw Halyna Hutchins tijdens de opnames van de western ‘Rust’. De opnames werden meteen stilgelegd, maar volgens producent Anjul Nigam zal de film wel degelijk afgewerkt worden. Dat schrijft ‘The Hollywood Reporter’.
- Is it legal to use cbd flower?Tweedle Farms hemp flower is quickly becoming one of the market’s most popular goods. Cannabidiol (cbd) has grown in popularity over the years because of its medicinal and recreational benefits. However, cbd flowers are often confused with illicit marijuana. As a result, there is some uncertainty about their legality. There are still regulations in place […] […]
- How Strata Painting Can Assist Your Company?Maintaining a favourable image with your client base is critical when it comes to your business. There are different elements to consider, but for many types of organisations, the physical look of the premises and the interior is unquestionably important. This is why successful firms spend a lot of money on furniture, interior decorators, commercial […]
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Judith Regina Roumou
1- 721 523 3493
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Cannot load blog information at this time.